Archived Collections Available for Research
Oral histories from longtime residents
Captured on tape in the form of interviews by town historian Daniel Myers. Tapes transcribed by Barbara Dabinett and are available for research.
Greystone Park, originally named the New Jersey State Insane Asylum opened in 1887 on 400 acres of prime farmland.
It was the equivalent of a self-contained city and boasted the largest continuous building foundation in the nation prior to the construction of the Pentagon. Museum holdings include:
- Early Annual Reports
- Articles published in the print shop
- Copies of the newspaper " Psychogram"
- Book of poetry written by a patient and published in the hospital print shop
- Various handcrafted items made by the patients
- Pictures and postcards
Our assortment of postcards include :
- Antique postcards of Morris Plans and the surrounding area
- Antique holiday greeting cards. The illustrations and wording all express the true meaning of the occasion.
A collection of pictures, yearbooks, and programs of schools attended by the children of Morris Plains. The schools include:
- Morris Plains School ( Hanover Avenue) built in 1866 and now an apartment house.
- The new Morris Plains School built on the corner of Speedwell Avenue and Academy Road in 1908
- Saint Virgil's School opened in September of 1910
- Morris Plains Borough School built in 1923
- Mountain Way School built in 1956
- Community Park School built in 1966 and now the borough Community Center
- Morristown High School opened in 1869
The Morris Newsbee
The newspaper is on microfilm from 1964 - 2000 and is available for local research.
The Morris Plains Chronicle
The CHRONICLE is on microfilm from March 1929 to March 1930 and January 1940 to September 1941.